[MPlayer-cygwin] Porting

Sycotic Smith sycotic at linuxmail.org
Thu Sep 19 20:53:50 CEST 2002

> Hi,
>
> having gained some experience porting some programs (LyX, aspell) to the
> windows platform, I might add a few notes on the best way to port mplayer.
>
> * Using cygwin as the build platform is always the easiest way to do a port. By
> using the -mno-cygwin flag, an executable is made that does not rely on the
> cygwin .dll. An example can be found in the SDL source itself. Another
> possibility is installing native mingw gcc and binutils, and making sure those
> are the first in the cygwin path. Consequently, configure scripts need only
> minor modifications, and there's no need to fiddle with .bat script files.
>
> * It's surprising the current cygwin method works, because there are usually
> conflicts (memory management) when mixing C runtimes (msvcrt.dll and
> cygwin1.dll). However, a cygwin port of SDL should work properly.

Should, and DOES.  So far I haven't heard of anyone having trouble getting this to work with very little fiddling.

> * gnuwin32.sourceforge.net is a good starting point. They also have stripped
> down version of glibc that provides some rudimentary posix functionality, but
> relies on msvcrt.dll.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ruurd

I just installed MinGW on a system here at work, so far using gcc 2.95.3 doesn't work, and it barfs on as v2.13 (says for me to UPGRADE to 2.9... go fig!).  I'm working on that as I write this, so I will report my findings later.

/S. Smith