[MPlayer-advusers] gmplayer crashes on startup

f.seydel at crushed-eyes.com f.seydel at crushed-eyes.com
Thu Feb 2 19:00:46 CET 2012

Hi folks.

I'm using gmplayer as a viewer for an encoding pipeline faciliating mencoder.
As I'm always adding new features to the pipeline, I have to recompile
mplayer once in a while.
Everything has been running plain smooth for the last two years and I
had been able to solve all problems myself until now.

But now I'm stuck, I can't get gmplayer to run anymore!
mplayer works fine.

Problems started two weeks ago, after recompiling mplayer with latest
svn version the skin file wouldn't load due to some PNG format error
(alpha channels, seemed to be an well-known older problem).
Now this bug seems to be fixed but gmplayer just crashes on startup.
I already tried to to compile and run on different machines - same crash.
I also tried different skins ("Blue", "Blue small", "Canary") - same crash.
I have changed the video mode by editing ~/.mplayer/gui.conf, from x11
to xv - same crash.

I'm at a loss, can you help out?

Can you reproduce the bug or am I doing something terribly wrong???

Thanks in advance!

========================= Crash =========================
MPlayer SVN-r34646-4.5.2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
   disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a
possible bug.

========================= Traceback =========================
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.2-1ubuntu11) 7.2
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /usr/local/bin/gmplayer...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gmplayer
MPlayer SVN-r34646-4.5.2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

0x0872c997 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0872c997 in ?? ()
#1  0x086a1e21 in avcodec_decode_video2 ()
#2  0x08122cfb in bpRead ()
#3  0x081287fe in skinImageRead ()
#4  0x08129777 in ?? ()
#5  0x08129ae8 in skinRead ()
#6  0x081263f6 in guiInit ()
#7  0x080f9378 in main ()

Ubuntu 11.04 - Natty Narwhal

GNOME 2.32.1

Linux 2.6.38-13-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 8 16:48:07 UTC 2011
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

GNU C Library (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.13-0ubuntu13) stable release version
2.13, by Roland McGrath et al.

gcc version 4.5.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.5.2-8ubuntu4)

GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.21.0.20110327

GNU assembler (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.21.0.20110327