[MPlayer-advusers] mencoder reads wrong frame rate flag from Quicktime files

Dominic Bird dominic at theark.uk.com
Tue Jul 6 18:13:56 CEST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mplayer-advusers-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:mplayer-advusers-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of compn
Sent: 06 July 2010 17:01
To: MPlayer bug reports
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-advusers] mencoder reads wrong frame rate flag
from Quicktime files

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:12:48 +0100, Dominic Bird wrote:
>Mencoder reads this as 15.984fps. If I force it using the -fps 23.976
>mencoder -demuxer mov \\xxx\testmovhd2398.mov -o
\\xxx\testmovhd2398.flv

why not using -demuxer lavf? does -demuxer lavf give correct fps?
what mencoder version? what programs can output the correct fps in
a vfr file? quicktime / fcp.. anything else? it looks like mediainfo
rounds the fps or just gets it wrong (24.014). is the correct fps stored
in the mov container in an atom or something?

a sample vfr file (if we dont already have one in
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/mov/ ) would be useful.

also, this mailing list is for patches/development not bugreports/user
questions. use mencoder-users list or mplayer-users list in the future.

-compn

thanks for response! -demuxer lavf gives correct frame rate but cannot
use lavf as im decoding prores so i need to use QTMLClient.dll for
decoding. Mencoder version is r31372 win32 from
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php. The file is not actually VFR,
but Final Cut flags it that way for some reason (as it seems to all
captured HD files). Apparently the way you work out the frame rate is
from the is like this...

It looks like ffmpeg's .MOV parser sets the video stream frame rate
solely based on the time scale, which doesn't work for FCP's .MOV
files. Instead it must divide the time scale by the duration of one
video sample (as found in the 'stts' atom).

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-February/006914.ht
ml

Is there some way I can use the frame rate extracted by lavf and insert
it in the command? Like -fps lavf? That would solve all my issues!!! If
not then the -demuxer mov has a bug and needs to calculate the fps
differently.