[MPlayer-advusers] vobsub size gets overridden

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Sun May 10 05:30:02 CEST 2009

I'm adding vobsub in mkv support to HandBrake and have run into this
"feature".  I'm wondering if it was done to solve a particular problem
or was just an oversight.  In spudec.c, spudec_new_scaled calls
spudec_parse_extradata which reads the vobsub size into
orig_frame_height and orig_frame_width.  Then spudec_new_scaled
overwrites these values with one of the DVD standard resolutions.  vlc
does not do this and positions the subtitles where I expect.  The reason
I ask, is I can do better placement of the subtitles based on the
information I know about cropping and scaling etc than mplayer could
without this information.  But it only works if the player pays
attention to the size I tell it to use as a reference.  Also, I was
hoping to be able to translate blu-ray subtitles to vobsubs and insert
them into mkv files.  But it definitely will not work if I can specify a
high definition reference size for the vobsub.