[MPlayer-advusers] [BUG] mplayer cannot play h.264/aac FLV

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 21:14:31 CEST 2009

This is my first mplayer bug report so please forgive any
inadequacies. Also, this same bug affects ffmpeg and has been filed
with that project as Issue 987:

https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue987

In short, I can consistently produce FLV files from the MLB.TV (Major
League Baseball) service using either rtmpdump or the Autobahn program
and mplayer -dumpstream. These files cannot be played back with
mplayer, which dies after streaming error messages like this:

stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x576E2D38 !
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x4E2000 !
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x576E2D38 !
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x4E2000 !
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x576E2D38 !
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x4E2000 !
[h264 @ 0xc9ed40]AVC: Consumed only 1 bytes instead of 4891
[h264 @ 0xc9ed40]Unknown NAL code: 0 (0 bits)
[h264 @ 0xc9ed40]no frame!
Error while decoding frame!

The full logfile has been uploaded to
MPlayer/incoming/h264-aac-flv-no_frames-error-mplayer.log

In addition, a sample file which produces this error has been uploaded
to MPlayer/incoming/h264-aac-flv-no_frames-error.flv

This file plays in Windows-based flash players such as Applian FLV
Player. It also plays in the web-based FlowPlayer. The file can also
be demuxed by the Windows-based FLV Extract into its elementary
streams, both of which can be played back correctly in mplayer. These
elementary files, along with the timecodes file, are also in the
incoming directory of the FTP server and have the same base filename.

I have tested with mplayer version SVN-r29182-4.3.2. If I can provide
any more details or information, let me know. Thanks!

Christopher