[MPlayer-advusers] xvidix broken on Radeon

Christian Ohm chr.ohm at gmx.net
Mon Sep 29 16:26:21 CEST 2008

Hello,

I used to use the xvidix VO until it broke quite some time ago, I don't
remember when exactly, but it was months ago (I seem to remember it was spring
then, but I don't know if it was this year or the last). I assumed it would get
fixed eventually, and just used cvidix instead. Now I upgraded my graphics
card, from a Radeon 9600XT to a X800 GTO, and cvidix doesn't work (I haven't
yet gotten the console to support my 1600x1200 resolution, I guess that's the
problem). Unfortunately xvidix still doesn't work (with current mplayer svn).

With the 9600, xvidix usually showed a green window, but some switches between
fullscreen and windowed usually made the movie show (sometimes it worked on
first start, and sometimes the movie wasn't quite where the window was). I
tested some older mplayer revisions then, but the problem was always there, so
I assumed a problem with some X update (though I'm not sure if that really was
the cause, I didn't really investigate further).

Now with the X800, I don't even get an image of the movie, either green as
before, or some random noise (sometimes not in the window, as the movie before;
as I haven't tested xvidix before exchanging the graphics card, I cannot say if
this is specific to the X800).  The noise is just on the screen, a Gimp
screenshot just gets the green colour key, and -vf screenshot an image from the
movie. If an image of that is useful, I can make one once the batteries for my
digicam are recharged.

I am using Debian unstable (32 bit) on an AMD X2 3800+, updated at least every
few weeks. The current kernel is 2.6.26.3, before that I used mostly
2.6.22.12-ck1.  Currently installed are xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.2-6 and
xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.9.0-1+lenny4, though as I said, the problem appeared
months ago, with some older version. lspci information for the X800:

Display controller [0380]: ATI Technologies Inc R480 [Radeon X800 GTO (PCIE)] (Secondary) [1002:5d6f]

I don't think the following is relevant, but just in case:
libc6                                             2.7-13
gcc                                               4:4.3.2-1
binutils                                          2.18.1~cvs20080103-7
depth of root window:    24 planes

The attached log was done without the ~/.mplayer directory, with some switches
between windowed and fullscreen. One line caught my eye: "[radeon] DVI port has
no monitor connected", since I have a display attached to the DVI port.

Best regards,
Christian Ohm