[MPlayer-advusers] DVB documentation unclear/outdated

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 12 00:13:40 CET 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:

>> So  I'm  still  wondering  if  anyhow  one  can use demux_ts with
>> DVB-input to
>> achieve transcoding in the way I discribed above? So that I  end  up
>> with  an
>> mpeg4-file without re-encoding.
>>

> as I wrote, re-encoding/transcoding - however you call it - is still
> done 100% by your cpu: there's nothing done by the dvb card, not even
> the mpeg2 decoding
> (although it's possible to make the dvb card to the actual decoding and
> use mencoder to read the uncompressed audio and video streams
> from the card's output: tv://, but I would never bet on the synchrony)

a small correction here: when playing non-mpeg2 content the
transcoding to mpeg2 is done entirely by the cpu, so probably your
source is already in mpeg4 and you don't need to access tv:// to
encode it;
in any case if you want an mpeg4 output you have to transcode your
source using mencoder (the decoding process done by the dvb card
is still possible as I described)

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users