[MPlayer-advusers] Weird slow decoding problems of DVDs on Mac OS X 10.3.9

Ergzay ergzay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 09:00:07 CET 2006

On 2006/10/30, at 13:40, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Hello,
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 12:02:48PM -0500, Ergzay wrote:
>> 1.2 Ghz G4 should be plenty to decode a DVD but for some strange
>> reason
>> I am getting frames dropped at a rate of several frames every second
>> or
>> so. Often more if its high action. If its still motion I still get
>> frame dropping although not as much. I am not quite sure what is
>> wrong.
>> I'm not quite sure what info to supply, please tell me what other info
>> I can supply if needed. (If I don't use -profile sub I've found I drop
>> less frames but still drop some.) I did not have these problems in the
>> past but it has been a long while since the last time I played a dvd
>> using mplayer (several months).
>
> Try not using framedrop. Try -autosync. Try -nosound. Try -vfm ffmpeg.

Not using framedrop I get excessive desync of audio and video, if I use
-autosync in conjunction with that I have to use a value like 200 for
it to sync sorta-close which I think is a little high, and even with
this it gets to a point where it starts spitting out over and over:
Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8277145 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
-nosound I drop no frames but I can't very well watch it like that.
I discovered though that my main problem is using the ASS/SSA renderer
for my subs. It plays fine using:
mp dvd://1 -alang ja -sid 0 -vfm ffmpeg -noframedrop -autosync 30
-subdelay 1
In general do the ffmpeg codecs always play faster than everything
else? If not, what are the exceptions? If there are no exceptions, why
aren't the ffmepg codecs used by default for everything?
Also in general is it better to use -noframedrop and -autosync? I have
on default on every machine of mine to use -framedrop or for h264 files
to use -hardframedrop because using -framedrop on h264 causes
corruption of the frames.

I also found two minor bugs. MPlayer is not getting the right color for
the dvd subtitles (supposed to be yellow but are white here). Also I
have to specify -subdelay 1 for it to time the subtitles correctly.

~Ergzay