[MPlayer-advusers] [BUG] mencoder Floating point exception

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Oct 30 22:07:30 CET 2006

Giacomo Comes wrote:
> A recent change in libavcodec/mpegvideo.c (r 6565) makes mencoder crash with
> Floating point exception when an mpeg with bframes is made.
>
> Some command line examples:
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2006-October/063454.html
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2006-October/063428.html
>
> Reverting the changes done in r 6565 "fix" the bug.
>
> The code was submitted by Michael Niedermayer (I think).

If Michael doesn't see your report, you should try posting on
ffmpeg-devel. First, however, there are a few things you can do to make
a better bug report.

1. Make a more simple test case; it's nice to have a compact command
line to test. Start by removing audio processing, then the unrelated
lavcopts, etc.. Keep removing options until you have a reasonably
minimal command that still reproduces the bug. Leaving in necessary
options like "-ofps 24000/1001" is ok.

2. Test some other source files until you're absolutely sure the bug is
reproducible regardless of the source. If you're not absolutely sure,
then provide a test file.

3. Follow the instructions in the bug reporting guidelines:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html
Don't forget to compile mencoder with --enable-debug=3 and make a gdb
backtrace.

Now, it may well be that Michael is able to take one look at your
original report and know what the problem is, but you'll have a much
better chance of seeing this fixed if you provide lots of information up
front.

-Corey