[MPlayer-advusers] MacOS X Audio issues was: pcm audio - decoding bug

Alex McHugh onerios at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:18:36 CET 2006

On 18/11/2006, at 10:44 AM, Alex McHugh wrote:

> Issue:
> On Mac OS X, under some circumstances, pcm audio is decoded at what
> sounds to be twice normal speed in one channel, the other channel
> plays static.
>
> Affected Platforms and versions:
> Only tested on OS X, both Power PC and Intel.
> Tested latest CVS, problem also exists in r8 and rc1
>
> Test Details
> Using the sample file "newedition-coolitnow.24bit-lpcm.vob" sample
> file found at:
> http:.//samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/pcm24/
>
> Playback using MPlayer OSX (GUI) will result in fraction of a
> second of normal playback, then audio exhibits behaviour described
> above.
>
> Playback using command line, will play fine - until the audio is
> muted and then unmuted via the M key, then exhibits identical
> behaviour to that described above. Identical behaviour occurs when
> changing volume levels during playback.
>
> Issue is not limited to 24bit big endian PCM audio, I have a number
> of AVI files containing 8bit little endian mono PCM which exhibit
> the same behaviour. Cannot replicate on other audio formats, only PCM.

Just wanted to confirm that the patch by Chris Roccati applied in SVN
as revision 21368 fixes the volume issue as described.

However one action in mplayer on osx that still generates the same
behaviour, using the square bracket keys to vary the playback speed.
Did these ever work before the move to AudioUnits? If not is it very
difficult to support?

I suspect the following bug may be a separate issue but it seems
similar/related.

Accessing menus in MPlayer OS X whilst playing the aforementioned
newedition sample will also generate the same audio problem when
playback resumes.
With other audio formats, the video freezes and the audio pauses,
then playback (video and audio) resumes fine when the menus are no
longer being accessed.

This works properly with the normal "pause" function, does this
"pause whilst in menus" behaviour handle the pause differently?

Alex