[MPlayer-advusers] dvd's protected with bad sectors?

tempn at twmi.rr.com tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sun Oct 16 08:12:16 CEST 2005

a user came into #mplayer with questions about bad sector dvds
http://www.hisxpress.com/cross-country-2-dvd.html
was the dvd he was trying to play

" I tried mplayer -dumpstream dvd:// on one of those
"bad-sector protected" DVDs, and it literally ran for
12 hours and still didn't get completely done."

"My standalone DVD player had not problems playing the original DVDs."

i tried to explain to him the problem was the dvd with bad sectors
or the dvdrom for not skipping bad sectors... his response

"Some new DVDs put bad sectors onto the DVD. Standalone
 DVD players use the menu info files so that they skip
 over the bad sectors, but mplayer doesn't."

maybe there needs to be a faq on protected (non standard, drm
etc) dvds...

-compn