[MPlayer-advusers] problems using and/or building mplayerosx

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Oct 3 02:15:13 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to get mplayer set up on a friend's Mac OS 10.3.8 system.
"MPlayer OS X 2" from mplayerosx.sourceforge.net is working but outdated.
I'd like to get something newer set up. Here's what I've come across:

1. The only build on mplayerosx.sf.net made this year is listed ad "Tiger
only", so I can't use it.

2. The latest CVS build on the mplayer download page doesn't open. When I
run it from a terminal I see:
[erboo at cz-1-40 MacOS]& ./MPlayer\ OSX
dyld: ./MPlayer OSX can't open library:
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore  (No
such file or directory, errno = 2)
zsh: trace trap  ./MPlayer\ OSX
As far as I can tell, the Quartz framework is only available for 10.4.
Please correct me if I'm wrong -- I don't know much about Macs.

3. I followed the instructions in the mplayer docs for building mplayer
and mplayerosx myself. MPlayer builds fine; mplayerosx fails with:
[erboo at cz-1-40 mplayerosx]& make dist
xcodebuild -configuration Release build
unknown option: -configuration
Usage: xcodebuild [-project <projectname>] [-activetarget] [-alltargets]
[-target <targetname>]... [-activebuildstyle] [-buildstyle
<buildstylename>] [-optionalbuildstyle <buildstylename>]
[<buildsetting>=<value>]... [<buildaction>]...
       xcodebuild [-list]
make: *** [all] Error 1
There's a slightly cryptic note at the bottom of the documentation saying
"You can also use the Xcode 2.1 project; the old project for Xcode 1.x
does not work anymore." Does that mean I have to have 2.1? I don't know
how to tell what version of xcodebuild is on this machine, but the only
available download I found for 2.1 (by signing up to the Apple Developer
Connection" was for 10.4.

Will someone please help me here? I'm rather lost on a Macintosh.

Thanks,
Corey