[MPlayer-advusers] sig11 with hardwareframedrop and mpeg12 codec

Marco Graf grafmar at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 21 11:29:26 CET 2005

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:28:29AM +0100, Marco Graf wrote:
>
>>The problem is not, that I need hardframedropping, but it's a SIGSEGV
>>that shouldn't happen. No problem if mplayer exits normally, but SIGSEGV
>>just isn't the right way, right? With ffmpeg I have no problem as you
>>expected.
>

> Well, it's just not worth the effort, e.g. you would have to check every
> malloc if it fails (e.g. when a size value in a file is mixed up). And
> in the end, you still wouldn't know what to do except quitting the
> program (though you might just try playing the next file, but that would
> make it even more confusing, wouldn't it?).
> Of course, anyone fixing libmpeg2 is welcome (as long as it doesn't make
> it any slower!), but currently it is just kept because it is so fast -
> and if that means it will segfault sometimes, so be it.

What about printing a message, that it is known that this codec would
fail with hardframedropping. What if it exits without playing the file
if hardframedropping is on and this codec is selectet? Or that it takes
an other codec if hardframedropping is turned on. But that is just a
work around and I don't realy like a such solution.

-mga

  / __\/__ \ / __/_ /___  \     Marco Graf  marco.graf at schweiz.org
 / / / / / // /_/ / / _   /  Heldaustr. 18  http://redirect.to/mga
/_/ /_/ / / \__/ / /___/_/   9470 Buchs SG  ICQ: 23012328
            /___/	    +41-81-7565109  mobile: +41-78-6030045