[MPlayer-advusers] Long-standing encoding bug: ff_rate_estimate_qscale: Assertion `pict_type == rce->new_pict_type' failed

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed May 11 22:38:53 CEST 2005

Hi RC(?)!

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 00:18, RC wrote:
> Funny that you have a hard time reproducing it, when I'm
> having the problem with every video I try, even with no cropping,
> scaling, deinterlacing, etc.
Yeah, I am also having the problem on nearly all videos, but it was not easy
to find a *short* (read: <100Mb) source file section that triggered it.
(And, I had to find some time to really sit down and dig into it, which I
would not have done if it didn't bug me a lot..)

> Attached is a patch against current CVS based on the changes you
> pointed-out. It just reverts whatever it was that Michael was doing
> there... It applies and compiles, and I've successfully tested it on one
> video.
I also thought about trying that, but one would normally think that this
change was intentional *somehow*, so that'd probably be a short-term
solution, no?

Loren's patch seemed nicer to me, but unfortunately, it does not even fix the
test-case, whereas the reversing does. :-(

Thanks a lot for your comments,
  looking forward to more feedback,
    Greez, Hans