[MPlayer-advusers] Long-standing encoding bug: ff_rate_estimate_qscale: Assertion `pict_type == rce->new_pict_type' failed

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed May 11 00:18:37 CEST 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:20:22 +0200
Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> now (ff_rate_estimate_qscale_assertion.* in
> mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/) is heavily stripped down, but the
> assertion disappears when removing either the cropping, the
> deinterlacing, or the B frame parameters! ;-}

I've seen the same thing when encoding multiple-passes with B-frames
enabled.  Funny that you have a hard time reproducing it, when I'm
having the problem with every video I try, even with no cropping,
scaling, deinterlacing, etc. Bugs in mencoder seem to search me out...

>  I found out the day CVS
> broke (by binary search), it's the 15th of October 2004, with a commit
> to libavcodec/mpegfile.c concerning B frame handling

Looks like michael is the culprit.

Attached is a patch against current CVS based on the changes you
pointed-out. It just reverts whatever it was that Michael was doing
there... It applies and compiles, and I've successfully tested it on one
video.