[MPlayer-advusers] playlist parser as a demuxer?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Jan 12 16:29:20 CET 2005

Reimar Döffinger writes:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 03:29:29PM -0500, compn wrote:
> > i know this has been talked about with automatic playlist parsing
> > but what was the final verdict? is it possible to have the parser
> > be called as a demuxer (always the last demuxer) and only for
> > files under 10k filesize (or if on streaming servers that dont
> > report size, for asx, pls, ram, smi, smil)?
> >
> > e.g. -playlist becomes -demuxer 99 ?
>
> I am totally against it, for multiple reason. A playlist is something
> very different than a media file and forcably handling it like one by
> moving a demuxer will most probably become a bug.

FYI, handling playlists as/with a demuxer is what Arpi planned for G2.

> Also there is a security aspect. Playlist can contain any filename
> located anywhere, they should not be executed "just like that" without
> the user knowing about it.

And how is that alleviated by adding -playlist to the command line?
It will still just play whatever file the playlist points at..

For better or worse, -playlist is basically the expected behavior for
streams and all other players don't need (obscure) options added to
the command line.

Diego