[MPlayer-advusers] bitstream codec version information not passed on with mencoder?

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Wed Aug 24 21:06:17 CEST 2005

this was a user in #mplayer who had this problem:

I've transcoded a show from a NTSC DVD to a 512x384 xvid file
(max_bframes=1:nogmc:noqpel), but I can't play it back on my standalone
DVD player. opening the video with avidemux2 and then saving it again (copy/copy)
makes the files playable on that player. a friend tells me it's because of the
lack of tags on the original video, which are present in the file output by
avidemux2: "inside data / metadata there should be [USER] XviD0039 or XviD0038"

Thomson DTH8045 it's a DVD-Recorder

<skamp-> I'm using mplayer CVS from 2005/08/13 and xvid 1.1.0 beta 2 for encoding
<skamp-> avidemux2 v. 2.0.42 (http://avidemux.berlios.de/)

http://xmm.sourceforge.net/DivX5-6_Xvid_Bitstream_version.php

lists the bitstream codec version, does any of this get into mencoder?
can it?