[MPlayer-advusers] another java movie format

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Sun Apr 17 14:54:33 CEST 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 04:17:20 -0400
compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:

> orig url:
> http://www.actonbb.com/contents/health/0501shape1_health/

[...]

Those videos are streamed using applet from ubicast (www.ubicast.com).
video unknown, audio could be vorbis (at least looking at some strings
in the .w1 video), container unknown. If someone speaking japanese can
have a look at their homepage maybe they tell something about the codec
used.

A quick look at java applet suggests two audio formats (fa1 and fa2) and
one video format (fv2). Everyting is splitted in a lot of files called
a.class, b.class, ...; that suggests some form of obfuscation is used.

> and another java format i found and reported:

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2004-February/042748.html

Emblazevideo, iirc mpeg-like video (blocks, motion compensation, ...),
gsm audio (via java internal library), unknown/proprietary container.
Code does not look obfuscated.

> is anyone keeping track of these? anyone working on demuxing/playback?
> is it worth having these formats supported in mplayer?

I'm keeping track of them, but atm i'm not working on them.
It would be good if MPlayer could decode everything, but since i never
met those formats in the wild they are low priority for me now.
The fact that decoders are in java make the work simpler, but not
trivial, expecially if obfuscation is used. An almost all of them do not
use a standard container, so you have to do demuxer+decoders.

The most interesting one is probably On2 truemoton: it uses vp5 or vp6
video, speex audio, probably a proprietary container (but the same
codecs are available also in standard avi), but code is obfuscated (at
least vp6, vp5 is less obfuscated).

Ciao,
 Roberto