[Mplayer-advusers] new welcome message

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Sep 10 13:11:20 CEST 2004

Attila Kinali writes:

> I just added the following text to the welcom message of -advusers:

That's great, we really needed to make our rules explicit :-)

> This mailinglist is ment to be a communication channel between users and
> developers. Thus you should not ask mere usage questions here. If you
> send bugreports you MUST follow the procedure pointed out in
> bugreports.html (see documentation). Failing to do so, or sending
> inapropriate mails will lead to an unsubscribe by the mailinglist
> administrator.

That's good.  Let me propose an alternative with a bit more detail:

This mailing list is a direct feedback channel between MPlayer users
and developers, especially for sending bug reports. To keep the noise
level low and the quality of posts high this mailing list has strict
rules.

* Ask simple usage questions on mplayer-users.
* Always follow the bug reporting guidelines outlined in
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html
  (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html)
* Do not post offtopic.

This is necessary since most developers are too overloaded to keep up
with the mplayer-users mailing list, nevertheless we are interested in
constructive feedback and quality bug reports.

Please understand that we may enforce these rules by unsubscription.

Diego