[Mplayer-advusers] trouble encoding NTSC anime (broken telecine?)

Zoltan Hidvegi mplayer at hzoli.2y.net
Wed Sep 1 06:26:03 CEST 2004

> I'm trying to encode "Slayers Try" NTSC R1 DVD, but no matter what combination
> of filters I use (granted, I probably haven't tried all of them), I can't get
> good results. Original material is 720x480, aspect 4:3, 29.97 fps.
> Here's what I get:
> -vf pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001 -> jerky panning, some ghosting
> -vf softpulldown,ivtc=1 -ofps 24000/1001 -> as above
> -vf filmdint,softskip -ofps 24000/1001 -> as above
> -vf pp=l5 -> fluent movement, some ghosting
> -vf divtc=deghost=64 -> almost fluent, some ghosting

I'm not sure if you can save this at all.  This video is not properly
telecined, the individual fields have bad ghosting artifacts.  You can
look at it with -vf il=d:d to see that.  Maybe divtc can do something,
but I do not know that enough to tell.  divtc was designed to process
deinterlaced video, however this video is clearly not deinterlaced, it
is just messed up.  Maybe they resample the 24fps movie at interlaced
60fps, and when the sample is not at an exact frame, they take the
weighted average of the closest two frames, weighted by the distance
from the sampling point.

I've seen similar mess at other places, e.g. in PBS digital proadcast
(and probably analog broadcasts too).

Zoli