[Mplayer-advusers] Bug? Anomalous CPU usage when playing HDTV clips.

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Sat Mar 20 02:21:09 CET 2004

Follow up to my last e-mail.

Another variable in this is option PageFlip.  It was on in the
tests given in my last e-mail (speeds up glxgears).  When turned
off, results are like the non-dbe results below.

This led me to try the gl drivers again and take a closer look.
They are buggy, so I've been ignoring them until now.

Using the vo gl, CPU usage actually looks pretty sane
for both 1280x720 and 1024x576 @ 30fps.  mplayer runs
between 20% and 30%, X is negligible. But 1280 has
broken video, nothing but a white display.  Also, higher
fps clips do not play at correct speed.

Using the vo gl2, nothing plays at the correct speed.
mplayer CPU usage is high, but below 60%, so its not
due to pegging out the CPU.