[Mplayer-advusers] Bug? Anomalous CPU usage when playing HDTV clips.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Apr 2 17:56:46 CEST 2004

Hi,

> Do you know of a way to find out what size textures the
> graphics card supports?  It appears that the max is 1024x1024
> since mplayer reports using 2x1 1024x1024 textures for
> the 1280x720 size clip. So you're correct about the white
> screen behavior with the gl driver.
If you have Windows on the notebook as well, the GLinfo tool from
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/ might help (didn't try it myself).

In addition for your original problem the output of xvinfo might be
interesting as well.

> To test the memory bandwidth theory, I ran some lower resolution
> clips.  One is 1024x576, which requires a 1024x1024 texture.
> The other is 720x404 and requires a 1024x512 texture.
> Both clips are 30fps.
>
> With gl2 driver:
> 1024x576 clip runs slow, and does not consume all available CPU.

What system configuration do you use (kernel version and GL driver
type/version, glinfo or glxinfo might help). I tend to think that your
CPU usage infomation isn't correct -  I heard that especially notebooks
can give you trouble here.
Especially that xv and x11 vos give the same CPU usage seems very wrong
to me, as the YV12->RGB conversion that is needed for x11 even a 2.4 GHz
CPU can't do that easily (on my Athlon with 800Mhz it makes a difference
of at least 8% CPU usage for a 352x288 clip!)

> 720x404 clip playback speed is correct.
>
> With gl driver:
> Both clips play back at proper speed.

You might find -nosound -benchmark useful for testing.

> Hope this is useful information for you.  If you would like a
> a copy of the 1024x576 clip to run any tests yourself, there's
> probably some way we can figure out to make it available.  Its 14M.
> (Smaller than some M$ turd documents I've sent via e-mail :-P)

I used -vf expand for testing - this should be even better as it puts
additional load mostly onto the vo modules

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger