[Mplayer-advusers] Inverse telecine filters ineffective?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Oct 12 23:37:52 CEST 2003

On Sunday, 12 October 2003, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > and I still get the "ghost" effect on every 4th, 5th and 6th frame. In 4th
> > it's barely noticeable (just a little blurry picture), but in 5 and 6 it
> > quite visible, the ghost is about 7px apart (to the right in 5th and to
> > the left in 6th frame). What's more, the sequence for top and bottm field
> > differs. If 4, 5 and 6 are "ghosts", then the sequence for the top and
> > bottom fields is as follows:
> >
> > 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3
> > 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
> >
> > That is, either top or bottom field has the ghost effect all the time.
> > Does this make any sense to you?
>
> not much.
> what do you mean by 'ghost effect' ?
> something like 2 shots of a movement from different position mixed?

Yes. As if the same or similar image has been moved a few pixels to the
right or left and then superimposed on the previous one.

> like a vertically scaled interlaced material?

This I don't understand. :(

> 3:2 telecine should result every 4th field repeated, so you see fields as
> A B C D D E F G H H I J ... where same char means same content.
> the inv telecine filters can only remove this.

I gathered as much from some Rich's mails in the archives. I guess it's
not telecined then, because there's definitely a 6-field pattern in this
case. However, now that I think of it, this could be a very ugly motion
blur... Or could it?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/