[Mplayer-advusers] Inverse telecine filters ineffective?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Oct 12 23:16:56 CEST 2003

On Sunday, 12 October 2003, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm trying to encode an apparently telecined NTSC DVD (an orchestral
> > concert recording) with mencoder (latest CVS). I've tried
>
> are you sure it's telecined, and not interlaced?

I'm not sure.

> music videos (esp. concert recordings) are usually made by video camera,
> which produces pal or ntsc interlaced matreial, instead of 24fps
> progressive like the film cameras, which have to be telecined for ntsc.
>
> you should try to split to fields with the 'il' filter, set low fps (-fps 1)
> and check if you actually see duplicated fields or not. imho you wont.

I tried:

mplayer -nosound dvd://1 -fps 1 -ss 00:00:44 -vf il=d:d

and I still get the "ghost" effect on every 4th, 5th and 6th frame. In 4th
it's barely noticeable (just a little blurry picture), but in 5 and 6 it
quite visible, the ghost is about 7px apart (to the right in 5th and to
the left in 6th frame). What's more, the sequence for top and bottm field
differs. If 4, 5 and 6 are "ghosts", then the sequence for the top and
bottom fields is as follows:

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3
4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

That is, either top or bottom field has the ghost effect all the time.
Does this make any sense to you?

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/