[Mplayer-advusers] Inverse telecine filters ineffective?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Oct 12 21:24:41 CEST 2003

Hello.

I'm trying to encode an apparently telecined NTSC DVD (an orchestral
concert recording) with mencoder (latest CVS). I've tried
softpulldown+detc, softpulldown+ivtc and pullup and the combing effect is
still noticeable, especially on the edges of white surfaces.

The odd thing is, softpulldown says (at the end) that:
softpulldown: 598 frames in, 598 frames out
What does it mean?

I also get many "1 duplicate frame(s)!", like one in every 10 or 20 frames.

The material is not interlaced, because deinterlace filters result in
a horrible ghost effect.

Any clues? Or am I totally wrong and missing something?

I'm uploading a piece of the DVD to mphq/MPlayer/incoming as
Requiem_DVD_ivtc_ineffective.mpeg (ripped with mplayer -dumpstream).
Play with mplayer -ss 00:00:44 to see some movement and the combing effect.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/