[Mplayer-advusers] Fw: [MPlayer-users] [Bug] Mlayer/MP3Lib ?

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Mon Jun 30 11:29:44 CEST 2003

>> btw. the codec config system is great and simple, but there is one thing
>> i don't like.
>>
>> usually i don't want to customize the whole codecs.conf, i only want to
>> adjust it a little, for example:never-use-mp3lib. for that i have to  i
>> copy the /usr/local/etc/codecs.conf to $HOME/.mplayer, and edit it.
>
>argh. i did say that RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>changing codecs.conf is not the recomemnded way to customize the codecs
>order. look at -ac/-vc/-avf/-vfm

     I think you're missing the point; the question, as I read it was not
"how do you change the search order of codecs?", but "how do you make a
small (arbitrary) change to the codec configuration without having to copy
the entire codecs.conf to ~/.mlpayer and modify it for every release?".
The manual doesn't say anything about this--or, for that matter, about
using -ac/-vc/-afm(?)/-vfm rather than changing codecs.conf to change the
order of codecs--so "RTFM" is not appropriate here (though "you can't"
would be).

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/