[Mplayer-advusers] PSS - Playstation 2 movie file

Nicolas Noble pixel at nobis-crew.org
Thu Jun 26 13:22:13 CEST 2003

Hello,

  I recently learned that the Playstation 2 game movies are stored in
MPEG2 format. So, well, I tried to play some using mplayer. And it
actually works for the video, but not for the audio:

[...]
system stream synced at 0xD (0)!
==> Found video stream: 0
MPEG-PS file format detected.
Unknown 0x1BD substream: 0xFF
[skipped a lot of them]
MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)
MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
[...]

I put a stream sample there, if you want to take a look at it:

http://dem.nobis-crew.org/l5logo.pss

When I tried to look around the file a bit, it seems that it has been
encoded using TPMGEnc. And when I looked the streams in it, there is one
substream that in fact contains the audio, in raw 16 bits stereo waveform
format, with a small header. So I think it should be easy to fully support
it with mplayer, but I'm not skilled enough to do it myself. If you want
more samples like this one, just ask, I've got plenty of them.

  Cheers,

  -- Nicolas Noble