[Mplayer-advusers] mencoder crash/fail with some DVDs/VOBs

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jul 18 21:52:02 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > This looks like interlaced video.  I think 3 pass encoding does not
> > work with these.  If that's the problem you are facing, just rm
> > frameno.avi and do -oac mp3lame during all passes and it should be ok.
> >
> although  your idea to use 2-pass encoding instead of 3-pass seems to

ok

> work, the video is not interlaced! (transcode can detect that)

the better word is 'field-coded', not nececssary interlaced, although thsi
coding method has no much sence for progressive (non-interlaced) video.

anyway i doubt that any app (be it transcode or other) can reliable detect
interlacing, sometimes even teh human eye+mind combination fails...

> any idea how i can draw the developers attention to that problem? the

if you mean mplayer developers, they do read this list.
this is why we really hate beginner questions and incomplete bugreports here.

> sample .VOB and problem description are still in the incoming dir on
> the ftp server...?

probably.
but it's a known limitation, and not possible to fix in mencoder, without
major hacks or architecture changes. i mean this isn't a bug.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu