[Mplayer-advusers] Framerate conversion from non-standard framerates

Edward Hervey bilboed at bilboed.com
Mon Jan 6 22:14:49 CET 2003

Hello everybody,

	I'm using the almighty power of mplayer (and mostly mencoder) to encode
to mpegvideo a collection of old miscellaneous video files (vivo, real,
asf, avi, etc...) in order to create a DVD of those files. Up to know I
haven't met any problems that couldn't be solved with mencoder,
mjpegtools and 10mins of web-surfing, but this time I can't find any
solution whatsoever to the following problem.
	When I encode non-standard framerate videos (ex : 15fps vivo or
realvideo) I cannot transform the video in order for it to be at another
framerate (ex: 25 or 30fps). If I try to set the output framerate to
another framerate, it will only change the actual playback speed
(playing those transformed videos is like FFWD...). If my understanding
of how mplayer (and video) works, what I'm looking for is to add/remove
videoframes in order to have the correct amount of videoframes to be
played/encoded at the new framerate. The frames inserted are
transitional frames (made up with a subtle mix of the previous and
following existing videoframes).

	Is there a solution to such a problem using mplayer/mencoder ?

	Thanks a lot

	Bilbo