[Mplayer-advusers] vidix mga_vid sig11

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Wed Jan 16 17:35:28 CET 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:15:33 +0300
Nick Kurshev <nickols_k at mail.ru> wrote:

> > No, it should not segfault. An error msg is ok, but not a segfault.
> >
> Any ideas and your preliminary implementation please!

I think Alex fixed it already, but haven't tested it yet.

> Could you imaging self working with IO space without ROOT privileges
> >from use-space?
> Try remove SUID bit drom /usr/X11/bin/XFree86 executable and tell me results ;)

I thought more of an simple driver that allows mplayer to gain access
over certain parts of the memory, but i dunno if it is possible to
have a generic (ie graphic card independend way) to tell which memory
areas are allowed and which not.

> When tou use mga_vid.o driver  - it's possible since it's
> kernel one. But VIDIX is user-space techology. (It accesses
> to IO port from user-level).

I see.. i have to take a closer look to vidix (couldnt read
the code yet and i dont know when i have the time for it :-(

		Attila Kinali

--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.