[Mplayer-advusers] Problems with "-ss" and "-delay" command line options

Michael Hunold hunold-ml at web.de
Thu Apr 25 16:09:56 CEST 2002

Hello developers,

the problems described in this bug report can be verified with the file
called "seeking_and_delay_bugs_sample_file.mpg" in
ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/ although I believe that all this
can be reproduced with any other avi and mpg file.

unexpected results, "-delay" has some problems with "insane" values.

1) Try the following
 > mplayer -vo xv seeking_and_delay_bugs_sample_file.mpg -delay -5.0

"mplayer" won't start for a long time (it has some sort of hickup: play
one frame, play some sound, then pause) with such a high delay value.
This is more like a cosmetical problem, although it is annoying.

2)

 > mplayer -vo xv seeking_and_delay_bugs_sample_file.mpg -delay +5.0

works as expected if used right from the beginning. But if you use it
together with "-ss 85" for example:

 > mplayer -vo xv seeking_and_delay_bugs_sample_file.mpg
 > -delay +5.0 -ss 85

"mplayer" tries to prebuffer 5 seconds here it think, but when the video
starts a/v sync isn't off by 5 seconds at all. So "-ss" and "-delay"
work some kind of against each other.

And this one:

 > mplayer -vo xv seeking_and_delay_bugs_sample_file.mpg
 > -delay -5.0 -ss 85

does not work, either. The video isn't off by seconds here as expected.

Any comments?

CU
Michael.