[Mplayer-advusers] New standards

Jiří Svoboda Jiri.Svoboda at seznam.cz
Sun Dec 16 13:36:25 CET 2001

Hi,

> > > Indeed, to implement useful standard we need in
> volunteers currently
> > > I know only two drivers: mga_vid and radeon_vid. But if
> someone who
> > > has video wil write such driver - we'll be able to implement
> > > something like ALVA (Advanced Linux Video Architecture).
> >
> > Did you ever ask someone from the other player projects
> > like vlc, ogle or xine ? I'm sure they are interessted too.
> And if we
> > build a standard, we should do it together.
> >
> Currently I know too much different drivers:
> marvel.sf.net - direct DVD support and MPEG2 decoding on
> Matrox (announced at least) linuxvideo.org - mga_vid +
> mgadvd(old) mplayer - another mga_vid + radeon_vid
> linuxconsole at sf.net - here is fbvid.h which was ignored by
> kernel mantainers

Look also at marvel (mga+rrg) drivers. There is mga_vid ported to v4l
interface - so why not use v4l for this.
Maybe it would be better to extend existing v4l interface and not create
new one.
At least those drivers are working for TV/video capture (so there should
be update in FAQ).
It also contains stuff for mgadvd module.

Look at: http://marvel.sourceforge.net/

			JS