[Mplayer-advusers] Problems reading defective avi file

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Dec 5 22:47:39 CET 2001

Hi,

> Hy,
> I just uploaded the file "Angelic Layer - 08.avi".
> This file can't be played until the end. After just about half of the
> video (12min) it stops. Using -forceidx improved seeking but it still
> couldn't reach the second half.
> It's confirmed that the video does contain the information.
> I did the log without forceidx and did a little seeking.
> Lots of error messages. And the timer jumped to the second half but
> the video and sound didn't follow.
> Alexander Werth

hmm. did you tried it with other players?
unfortunatelly most damaged avi files are unplayable with mplayer or any
other player. reconstructing an avi index or play it without inde xis near
impossible if there is a broken chunk header somewhere :(
the only way what i can imagine is some brute-force thing, i mean skip 1
byte, try to demux few chunks, if not ok then jump back, skip 2 instead of 1
bytes, try again and again until you get a chain of proper chunk headers...
it shouldn't be done realtime as it takes long...
maybe implementing a prog called avifix, based on libmpdemux...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu