[MEncoder-users] overlaying togglable annotations with mencoder

Grothausmann, Roman Dr. grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de
Mon Jun 6 15:37:07 CEST 2016

Hello!

I'm trying to create a video with an overlay containing annotations (e.g.
arrows), that can be toggled on/off with common players. It seems bmovl allows
to combine two videos, but is specific to mplayer/mencoder. If used with
mencoder, the annotation (video) gets hard-coded and cannot be toggled any more.
Promising but also specific is SVG overlay:
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2006-August/045364.html
The only other idea I have is to (mis-) use an mpeg2 subtitle stream (dvdsub).
However, the only program I could find to create such a stream from my
annotation images is spumux. spumux on the other hand only allows bilevel+alpha
images. I'm not sure if that is simply  a spumux limitation or a limitation for
dvdsub streams.
Does mencoder or other tools offer other possibilities with less limitations on
color and size (e.g. 16 colors, HD)?

Many thanks for any suggestions
Roman