[MEncoder-users] Eqivalent ffmpeg command for -vf expand

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Feb 27 10:44:32 CET 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: Moritz Barsnick
To: MEncoder usage discussions
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: [MEncoder-users] Eqivalent ffmpeg command for -vf expand

> Hi Bill,

>  On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 15:42:07 +1100, Bill Crockett wrote: Is there an
> equivalent "-vf expand" command in ffmpeg please?

> I think the "pad" filter is what you're looking for in ffmpeg. ("-vf
> pad"): https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#pad-1

> Also, does ffmpeg have a mailing list like MPlayer / MEcoder?  If so,
> where is the link to join please?

> Oh, yes, certainly, and that list is very active (as is ffmpeg
> development):

> Welcome over! ffmpeg is a breeze to use, and its syntax is much more
> consistent than mencoder's. If you find an mencoder use case not covered
> by ffmpeg, don't hesitate to mention > it there.

> Cheers,
> Moritz

Thanks, Moritz.

The Pad command is exactly what I want.

I am pleased to see that the FFmpeg mailing list has the same format.  Shell
sign up now.

I joined the MPlayer / MEncoder list in 2011 and was a frequent poster till
about 2013.  Started using FFmpeg off and on when I was told MEncoder was no
longer maintained.  Must be almost 10 years now.

Depending on my mood, I still use MEncoder for some videos - mainly because
I'm used to it - and always MPlayer.

Thanks again,

Bill