[MEncoder-users] Scale overriding original aspect ratio

André Rodrigues jacrodrigues at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:10:40 CET 2014

Hi,

I've searched many times this issue, but I couldn't find an answer.
Basically, every time I scale a movie for an old living room DVD player
that accepts USB pens using this command line, I have to calculate the
height manually.

mencoder "original_video.mp4" -o NUL -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -vf
scale=640:267,expand=640:480 -nosound
mencoder "original_video.mp4" -o "converted_video.avi" -ovc xvid
-xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=3000 -vf scale=640:267,expand=640:480 -oac
mp3lame

In this case I have to calculate the 267 value from the original width and
height of the video. I tried using 0, -1, -2 and -3 instead, but nothing
works, because no aspect ratio is declared in the original video. But I
know its pixel aspect ratio is always 1:1, i.e., square pixels, so I'm
wondering if it's possible to have this assumption taken into account, so
that the height is calculated automatically.

Thanks is advance!

Best regards,

André