[MEncoder-users] Converting mkv from MakeMKV to avi with mencoder

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 14 14:50:42 CET 2013

On 3/13/13 3:00 PM, "securehell at hushmail.com" <securehell at hushmail.com>
wrote:

># mencoder Underworld_Evolution.mkv -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -o
>Underworld_Evolution.avi
>
># mencoder -ffourcc divx -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=6000 -audiofile audio.wav -oac mp3lame -
>vf crop=720:352:0:62,yadif -nosub -lameopts vbr=3 -o
>Underworld_Evolution.avi Underworld_Evolution.mkv
>
># mencoder -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=192:cbr:mode=0 -aid
>0 -alang eng -vf crop=720:352:0:62,yadif -lameopts vol=3 -nosub -o
>Underworld_Evolution.avi Underworld_Evolution.mkv

I don't think any robust conversion of any commercial title can be
accomplished without some method of pullup. I would prefer to work on the
full-size MakeMKV rip if it's Blu-ray. Anyway, what happens if you use
Reimar's suggestion along with removing yadif and including the following
at the beginning of the filter chain along with "-fps 30000/1001 -ofps
24000/1001" for i/o?

filmdint=fast=0,softskip

If you see a bunch of bottom frame warnings you can add this before the
first comma:

/sad_thres=512

Also, before giving up, I would make one more attempt substituting "-mc
0.1" for "-mc 0". I haven't been able to precisely predict which of the
two of those will work, but often if 0 won't work, 0.1 will.

You may also want to try the above variations both with and without
-noskip.

If you get smooth 24 fps but the audio is still off, try to determine
whether the audio sync problem is progressive or whether it's simply a
result of incorrect offset. If it's just early or late, you can fix it
quickly with ffmpeg. If it's progressive within the range of a second or
so, you'll have to stretch or compress the duration of the audio, which
can be done with a sox and ffmpeg pipe that has been explained on this
list before.

Laine Lee