[MEncoder-users] Help with mencoder

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 07:37:56 CEST 2013

On 04/26/2013 11:32 PM, Gabri Shally wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2013 12:27 PM, "JD" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK.
>> I had to remove :format=dvd
>> and now it is encoding.
>>
>> But why does not work with format=dvd?
>> Is that not a bug?
> i don't know. but, do you ever see this option in documentation? because
> afaik, dvd is only supporting MPEG2 as its video codec. so, imo, putting it
> in a H264 profile doesn't make sense.

You are exposing the fact that I am not a media savvy person.

I used ffplay to play it so that I could see what the bitrate is.
It turns out it is not 8000Kbits/s, it shows 32Mbits/s :

I played whatever mencoder has written so far (not much though)
and ffplay shows:
.
.
Duration: 00:00:01.85, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 32034 kb/s

Why? That's such an overkill, and I certainly did not request it in the
arguments?