[MEncoder-users] How important are B-frames?

Gabri Nurtinaz Shally gabri.ns at gmail.com
Sun May 13 11:31:04 CEST 2012

On May 13, 2012 1:10 PM, "Janos Szamosfalvi" <szamosj at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I did a bit of testing to see what happens with different bframes
> settings. There's a significant reduction in size and jump in
> quality from 0 to 1, but the effect of additional bframes is
> a bit dubious.  And mencoder crashed with bframes=4....  :(
>
> See attached .txt for full result.
>
> I also attached a small image from excel to show the important
> parameters: size and SSIM.  Note: on the x axis, 1 corresponds to
bframes=0, 2 to 1, 3 to 2 and 4 to 3.

> Of course results can easily be different with different settings
> and a different file, but IMHO, as long as bframes are supported,
> at the very least, bframes=1 should be used.

try reencoding by removing harddup option and add b_adapt=2 in x264 option

btw, which revision did you use?
because recently, using rev34??? i successfully transcoding Detective Conan
Movie 1-14 with high bframes settings. the minimum is 9 and some of them is
15.
well, the one with bframes=15 is not playable using MPC-HC tough.
i try high bframes because i want to use very low bitrate, 400kbps for
720x400 at 23.97fps material.
and when i rewatching all of them, i feel satisfied.