[MEncoder-users] which movie format for different OS (windows, apple, linux ...)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jan 10 14:12:04 CET 2012

Moritz Barsnick <barsnick <at> gmx.net> writes:

> I can't speak for Mac, but if you assume a minimum of Windows XP, then
> "MSMPEG4.2" might be the most effective codec to use. It is packaged
> with Windows XP, and plays well on other systems as well. At least it's
> better than MPEG1 or 2.

There is a more advanced version of this codec, "msmpeg" which is Micrsoft
MPEG4v3, but as said, QuickTime will not read the avi file.

WMP12 plays isom, so if you do not want to use mpeg1video, ASP (or H264) in isom
is the better alternative (badly supported by MEncoder).

And please do not forget that MEncoder is not actively maintained and that
ffmpeg supports all mentioned encoding methods.

Carl Eugen