[MEncoder-users] Audio Sync issues

Rolf Ernst rernst99 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 19:51:27 CEST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mencoder-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:mencoder-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Jeff Cranmer
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:51 AM
To: MEncoder usage discussions
Subject: Re: [MEncoder-users] Audio Sync issues

> So far, I've had no luck with -oac copy, as I get an error when I try it.
> The audio stream appears to be AAC rather than AC3.  Does this change
> anything?
>
> Ah, there's something to look into. I assume you are using TM2 to record?
> One of the settings is whether you want to record 2 channel audio
> (which your source seems to be) as AAC or AC3. Switch it to AC3 and
> see how that works for you.
>
> Yes, I never quite understood why you couldn't do copy with AAC. If
> you use YAMF (ahem, a little thing I wrote) it'll let you copy AAC but
> you may not want to delve into yet another tool....
>
> /re

Unfortunately, I'm traveling at the moment, so the videos I have with me
are all copied with AAC audio.   This is true for my entire mythtv
library, so I really need to be able to convert the AAC audio component.
Re-recording in AC3 isn't an option.

If you are on Windows there is a GUI based tool called YAMB, really very
simple to use. That lets you demultiplex the mpeg4 file into two elementary
streams, audio and video and multiplex the compressed video with the
original audio again.

On Linux there is MP4Box (it's also on Windows but YAMB is easier to use).

/re