[MEncoder-users] So does "target size" in xvid actually do anything?

Padraig Hogan padraig_hogan at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 19:37:42 CEST 2011

I steered clear of target size before, but I thought I'd give it
another go. This time I would encode the audio first and then the video. The following is the relevant part of my batch file:

if %2==2 "C:\mencoder\mencoder" %1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc copy -o %1.btw
if
 %2==2 "C:\mencoder\mencoder" %1.btw -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
bitrate=-1024000:threads=2 -vf scale=720:-2 -sub %filename:~0,-4%srt"
-utf8 -subfont-text-scale 2.7 -o %1.avi
del %1.btw

But it still just completely ignores the 1024,000 kb and it comes out as 800mb.

Now the original file is 1054,859kb encoded with 192k audio, so it's not as though xvid is saying it has no use of any extra bits to improve it at
all.

I've had similar problems with it before. It's almost as though it doesn't even matter what size you put it, mencoder will just choose it's own size that's around 750mb for a typicalk movie.