[MEncoder-users] Questions about copying video before encoding

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Sat Sep 10 10:11:14 CEST 2011

Hi.

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 05:50:48PM -0400, larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
> Sometimes when I try to rip a dvd, I can't due to the fake bad
> sectors(I use linux, so windows programs like anydvd don't help).  I
> usually just try to copy the video/audio stream out by using:

Don't know if it will work with such "copy protection" mechanisms, but I
use vobcopy when I rip a DVD.

> mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -channels 6 -alang en -ovc copy -o
> dvd-copy.avi.
>
> However, after having used unoptimal settings for a long time thanks to
> a friend of mine, I've been re-ripping my stuff using the pullup and
> softskip stuff to make sure the movies are at 24fps.

That depends on input.

> so, I know I can add the -vf pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001 to the
> command line I'm using above.

No, it will not have any effect as the -o{v,a}c copy tells mencoder to
copy raw stream. You can only set it when doing actual transcode (and you'd
better limit number of lossy transcodes to its minimum).