[MEncoder-users] Building MPlayer-MEncoder on Mac OS X since gcc 4.2 no longer works

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:23:41 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM, L. Lee <llee040 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I tried to compile latest SVN MPlayer/MEncoder in Lion for the first time in
> about a month, and the built-in Mac developer tools don't seem to handle it
> anymore. The error is "Your binutils version is too old and not supported".
>
> I built gcc 4.6 with Fink and tried again, but now I get a series of errors
> such as:
>
> {standard input}:173:no such instruction: `vcvtsi2sd (%rdx), %xmm1,%xmm1'
>
> Can you suggest a way to compile it? Thanks.

I think you should remove all the fink packages you installed that
brought that version of binutils. You don't need any external binutils
to compile MPlayer on Lion.

I have no problem to compile MPlayer here on Lion with:

./configure --cc=gcc-4.2 --disable-fontconfig

Best regards,

Guillaume

--
"I am the Jesus Christ of politics. I sacrifice myself for everyone."

 -- Silvio Berlusconi