[MEncoder-users] Audio issues with mencoder and lavc

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Nov 15 11:06:49 CET 2011

Am Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:02:38 -0800 (PST)
schrieb al ansorge <dad2julnken at yahoo.com>:

> Did this command work before June?

The last time I tried it was some years ago. But it was this or a
very similar command, but definitely lavc and HuffYUV. And it has
worked without any problems the last time I tried it.

>  that is when I noticed sync
> problems similar to what you describe when encoding with LAVC (I was
> trying to generate MPEG2 video with AC3 audio).  I have asked a few
> times to this forum and no one seems to have the same issues, so I
> have come to suspect the distribution (I use the Packman distribution
> for SUSE, with updates allowed automatically).

I doubt that this is a downstream issue. I'm using Arch Linux on a
x86_64 system, and the mencoder package from Arch's [extra] repository,
currently in the version 34344. The kernel I'm using is currently 3.1.

> My workaround is to capture to MPEG4 and then use DVDSTYLER to
> generate MPEG2.  I would sure like to get the old command working
> again.

This is not a workaround for me, because I need to capture and cut it
raw at exact frames, which is not possible with mpeg, and then convert
it to whatever codec I want.

Heiko