[MEncoder-users] Something to try if you have a Roku XD/S, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Mac OS X, EyeTV 3.5, and either an iPad or an iPhone 4

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 14 18:24:38 CEST 2011

Most, but not all of the requirements are in the subject.

Here are all.

Hardware:
Roku XD/S
Hauppauge HD-PVR
either an iPad (1 or 2, it has been tested only with iPad 1) or an iPhone 4
(These Apple devices aren't required, of course, but that compatibility is
what the conversion targets)

Software and other:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
EyeTV 3.5
Netflix or Crackle
MEncoder (of course)

I think this only works if you set up the Hauppauge to capture from your
Roku with RCA instead of S/PDIF (I can't use S/PDIF with my Roku, Hauppauge
and EyeTV because there is a a problem with stuttering during capture, and
nobody at EyeTV has been able to help yet).

If you have all that, the steps are simple.

1. Capture something from the Roku using EyeTV such as an HD Netflix stream.
2. Use the export command in EyeTV to create a single native h.264 video
file containing both sound and picture.
3. Drag the exported file onto the icon of the AppleScript application
linked for download below.
4. Wait for the Terminal to open and finish the conversion. The converted
file is created in the same folder as the dropped source file.
5. Transfer to the iPad or iPhone 4.

http://rowdyspace.utsa.edu/users/mek985/Public/plex/720p_Roku_to_iPad.zip

The output is 1280X720 Baseline level 3.1, 24 fps. There are a lot of
prerequisites for building MEncoder in Snow Leopard with x264 support, but
once they are met, my build configuration command is "./configure
--cc=gcc-4.2 --disable-live".

Laine Lee