[MEncoder-users] Framerate advice

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Mon Mar 21 23:19:28 CET 2011

 I've been reviewing some technical info on framerates on NTSC Video.  Due to a lot of framerate changes in videos, I've been using -fps 120000/1001 to get the 29.97fps rate for standard TVs.

However, having seen a lot of the "telecine jitter" caused by the 3:2 pulldown process, I have some questions.

Most films are 24fps.  I watch almost everything on a computer or laptop, so I'm wondering if it's worth keeping Movies at 30fps(which would be good only if I actually used a TV) and instead keeping them at 24fps.  TV shows are recoreded at 30fps anyway, so that's not an issue.

Also, what about using an ATSC TV for HD at 480p?  Would newer standards work better with 24fps?

Any comments?  Thanx