[MEncoder-users] Mencoder not copying aac to mp4

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 29 13:21:06 CEST 2011

 > It doesn't copy the audio but accepts reencoding it. (but anyway,
shouldn't avi be able to handle aac?)

I see that you are using a Matroska container.  I have never used that
yet.  I can't understand why -oac copy does not work for you.  I've
never had any problems with it.  Do you get no audio info listed in the
file after the copy?  Yes, I've encoded to AVIs with AAC with success,
but I mostly use x264.

 > [mp4 @ 0x1e09230]Codec for stream 0 does not use global headers
 >  but container format requires global headers...

I get that all the time in yellow.  Even using "-x264encopts
global_header" will still display it when encoding to that format.  I
don't know why exactly.  It does not worry me because the end result is
fine.

 > I'm able to play the files on MPlayer itself but not on my cell phone...

What videos formats play on your phone?  What does the phone recommend?

 > As you can see, libavformat allows MEncoder to mux into a considerable
 > variety of containers. Unfortunately, as MEncoder was not designed
from the
 > beginning to support container formats other than AVI...

You could try the -ovc x264 commands and see if the -oac copy works.

Cheers,

Bill