[MEncoder-users] avi h264 to mp4 (without transcoding)

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:38:22 CEST 2011

On 2011.07.22 02:01 AM, Phil Sturges wrote:
> mencoder video.avi -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -ovc copy -oac faac
> -faacopts br=160:mpeg=4:object=2:raw -channels 2 -o video.m4v
>
> The first problem that I need to solve is that the resulting video plays in
> various media players including vlc and mplayer, however when played in
> itunes there is no video and when played on a ipad the player simply crashes
> with no error message.
.m4v is the extension for raw MPEG-4 Part 2 video streams. VLC and
MPlayer see past the extension, but proprietary players (especially
hardware players) don't always do that. Also, the lavf muxer (at least
in MEncoder) is broken and most players will have a hard time with the
file if the video has B-frames. MP4Box is a wonderful tool for creating
good MP4 containers.