[MEncoder-users] Xvid bff/tff field order issue

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 16 13:38:09 CET 2011

On 11-02-16 6:27 AM, Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 15.02.2011, 20:48 +0100 schrieb Moritz Barsnick:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 15:08:16 +0100, Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de wrote:
>> I have a classic "SD" interlaced CRT TV set. I fed these files to my
>> (HD capable) HDD receiver's media player, which I assume can output
>> interlaced content as interlaced on the SD baseband output. And indeed,
>> the original file looks fine, both AVIs look very jumpy.
> Thank you!
> At least my dvd-player is Ok then.
>
> But this means that mencoder - with or without patch - is simply not capable of encoding interlaced PAL source files with the xvid codec??
> That's a shame!
>
> Especially since my dvd-player rejects libav encoded mpeg4. I have not yet figured out why...
Have you tried setting the ffourcc value of the AVI, rather than letting
it be the default? Try -ffourcc XVID or -ffourcc DIVX or -ffourcc DX50
on your command line when encoding and see if any of those make your
dvd-player happy. I believe the default ffourcc code is FMP4 or
something, which nearly nothing understands properly.